Road closures for Elms Field work
Monday 20th May, 2019
Wokingham Borough Council will be putting the finishing touches to its road improvements related to the Elms Field regeneration.
Final work to be carried out includes replacement of the footways along the northern side of Wellington Road and lower Denmark Street, installation of a new pedestrian crossing on Wellington Road, creation of the Aldi access roundabout, improvements to traffic islands around the Carnival roundabout and resurfacing of the roads adjacent to the site.
Where possible work is carried out during off peak hours and using traffic lights to keep traffic flowing. Unfortunately, some of these final activities, such as the resurfacing of the roads and the installation of the new crossing point, are more complex and will require full road closures.
The resurfacing works will be carried out overnight to minimise disruption but the installation of the crossing point and other works on Wellington Road require a two-day closure to complete. This will take place over the May Bank Holiday weekend as traffic is quieter during this period.
Works to be carried out include:
- Complete closure of Wellington Road, between its junction with Carnival Roundabout and Outfield Crescent, from 8pm on Friday May 24 to 5am on Monday May 27.
- A series of phased overnight closures for the resurfacing of Wellington Road, lower Denmark Street and the Carnival Roundabout will start in early June. Further details to be confirmed shortly.
Improvements made as part of this work include:
- Widening and realigning the adjacent section of Wellington Road
- Widening of the narrow section of road and footway at the bottom of Denmark Street (between the junctions with Langborough Road and the Carnival roundabout) to improve traffic flow and access
- Creation of new off road bays on Wellington Road as drop off points and, in the future, enable improved public transport connections to the south of the town centre
- Improved pedestrian access with wider footways, realigned traffic islands around the Carnival Roundabout and a new signalised pedestrian crossing on Wellington Road
During the Wellington Road closure a diversion route will be in place taking cars along Barkham Road, Molly Millars Lane and the Finchampstead Road (and in reverse). Access to properties on Wellington Road will be maintained at all times via the station end of the road.
The southern footway on Wellington Road will be maintained throughout the closure period for pedestrians.
Diversion routes for the overnight resurfacing works in June will be released once dates and phasing of works is confirmed.